CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, January 14, 2008

Sold!

As I write this, my stomach is in knots, churning like butter. I feel like I'm going to vomit and it's all because of a dog.

After I hit 'send' I immediately had buyer's remorse. I mean, what kind of idiot buys a dog online? And, a dog they've never seen in person!

All signs point to me... I'm the idiot.

But I've been here before.

Almost 5 years ago, I purchased a pug puppy online from a breeder in Oklahoma. Because it was so long ago, I couldn't tell you exactly what made me do it, but I believe I just had a wild hair you know where.

My husband (boyfriend at the time) and I had been contemplating an addition to our boring family, and I made our decision to go ahead. I did all the research on various breeds, but when I came to the 'pug', I was hooked.

This is very similar to how it went down with getting a new dog. I was adamant about getting another pug since we're so in love with Vito, but when I came across this new, odd-looking breed, I was smitten.

The French Bulldog - the reason why I liked the looks of this breed is it looked like a pug (smashed face and all) except it has these funky ears, similar to a bat's. What's not to love?

During my research on this breed, I found that they're very similar to pugs, in more ways than looks. They sneeze, snore, and fart, which are Vito's favorite pastimes. Another similarity is that they can't tolerate extreme weather conditions and this fits in perfectly with my own likes/dislikes, since I hibernate during the summer.

Steve... well, forget about it. As soon as he saw the frenchie, that's all he could talk about. We'd be relaxing at home on the couches, and he'd be all, 'Tweetie!' I look at him, and he has his hands like ears on top of his head.

So, after our wedding last year, we knew that our next progression as a family would be to add a legitimate child to our family tree.

I've been researching various breeders throughout the country, knowing what to look for and what to avoid. I came across and have been corresponding with a nice lady in Texas and when she showed me pics of her newest litter, I saw 'Minnie Me's Girl' and I was sprung!

We've been emailing day and night for the past week, and just yesterday, I put a deposit down for the 6 and a 1/2 week old pup. She'll be done cooking in about a week, at which time she can join our happy, yet dysfunctional, family.

She shall be delivered via a puppy nanny. Who knew such people existed? But good thing, since our pup won't be relegated to cargo which can be a scary experience for a pup who's just left her mom and siblings.

I shant be including any information about the cost or breeder of our puppy because should anyone read this and want to get a pup, you should really find a breeder that suits your needs/budget. We just happened to locate a person I feel good about. And God-willing, everything will work out, or there will be some serious shit hitting the fan.

Our primary concern, of course, is Vito. He's almost 5 and I have to wonder how he'll take to having a new sister. I think I'm overreacting more than necessary, but that's how I roll. Last thing I want is for him to feel like he's second fiddle to this new creature, but Steve and I know that we have enough love to accommodate both dogs and more.

Besides, if Vito's uncle (Hunter) is ever over, he never gets possessive. If anything he's like, 'Thank God there's someone else here to get these people off my back!'

The name - I first wanted to name her Sofia. After all, she'll be a Latina. But then I thought, well Francesca's a really cute name, so then it was Francesca and even the breeder said she'd start calling her that name. All emails following that decision referred to the pup as Francesca. But Steve wasn't too enthused with the name. Then yesterday, after we paid our deposit, the name 'Mia' came to mind.

Mia was my in-laws deceased cat's name who was a doll, and I thought that it'd be nice to honor her. Then 'Mia Sofia' came to mind. So dag nabbit, that's the kid's name come hell or high water. The breeder probably thinks I have multiple personalities since I change the name every other day.

So, that's that. Puppy hell, here we come!

0 comments: